When to call a Speech Language Pathologist?

Developed by Britteny Asher M.S., CCC-SLP

Speech-Language Pathologists are communication specialists; professionals trained to evaluate, develop and support communication success. When working with individuals with intellectual and physical challenges it is appropriate to contact a Speech-Language Pathologist (SLP) when:

  • IMG_4085

    You are unable to understand an individual’s verbal language sufficiently for them to communicate their basic needs, desires and wishes.

  • Staff feel as if they need to (or truly are required to) ‘interpret’ for an individual.
  • An individual is not able to make or express their choice of participating in an activity.
  • It is unclear if an individual truly wishes to engage in and or continue an activity.
  • An individual is not able to successfully express issues of pain and discomfort.
  • Ineffective social skills limit interactions with peers and staff.
  • It is unclear if an undesirable behavior has a communicative intent.
  • It is clear that an undesirable behavior does have a communicative intent.
  • An individual is reliant of staff or caregivers for most/all of their daily needs.
  • Communication barriers limit an individual’s ability to engage with others, participate in the community and/or gain successful employment.
  • An individual who does utilize verbal speech is still limited in what they can/do communicate about. 
  • An individual’s current communication system is not allowing them to communicate and engage successfully.  

To learn more about how Britteny Asher Consulting can assist you in developing communication and social skills in the individuals you support please contact Britteny Asher Consulting.